How do we achieve uniform waterproofing compliance, nationally? Certainly, state and territory Regulatory   Authorities play a role, however current building requirements are disjointed and in most states are not required. Local Authorities and building surveyors request Waterproofing Application Certificates in order to certify compliance with BCA  and Australian Standards. Certifiers will require that certificates are issued by a competent person. One where the works  performed are covered by the scope of their license, or a person with formal qualifications to carry out the works.

Training and qualifications are regulated under the National Qualifications Framework. Plumbers do not have the above formal    qualifications in their framework, and therefore should not be issuing waterproofing application certificates, as a competent person. Builders should ensure that tilers issuing certificates carry the current qualifications for their trade.